Monday 22 July 2013

Broccoli Cheese Soup



Here is another Pinterest find. I've always loved creamy soups, just ask people who know me. I've had this recipe saved for sometime and was just trying to find the right time to make it. Well, on a cold winters day I've decided, today will be the day!! 

May seem like a lot of ingredients but guessing it's probably things you have in your pantry and fridge. It took a bit of prep time, however once that's all completed the soup comes together easily. 

I was a bit skeptical at first but to my surprise the soup was quite good. Beautifully creamy and full of flavour. 

Didn't change much from the original recipe, just used a different cheese because its what I had. Also, I cooked the recipe a little differently. I actually sautéed my onions, garlic, carrots and broccoli first then added the stock. Thought this would give more flavour to the soup rather than just throwing in the veggies to cook with the stock.




Chopped my broccoli into small pieces trying to remove all stems

My grated carrot... Not bad huh? :)

The onions chopped and surprisingly didn't make me cry 

The grated cheese! I used cheddar and mozzarella. 

I sautéed my onions, carrots and garlic until soften. 

Then added the broccoli and sautéed until soft. 

Once the veggies had a bit if time to cook I added my stock to allow all flavours to marinade. 

Making a roux to thicken my soup... 3 tbls flour and 3 tbls butter... I mixed the roux with a little bit of the stock from the soup, don't worry about getting veggies into the roux, eventually you will add this to the entire pot of soup. 

I've now added the cream and roux and let the soup thicken. 

Next I've added my cheese gave a quick stir and voila... A beautiful soup!!! 



2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup carrot, grated
1 med onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 1/4 heavy cream/thickened cream
3 tbls butter
3 tbls flour
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp all-spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup mozzarella or Gouda cheese
Salt and pepper to taste 
In a heavy bottom sauce pan sauté onion, garlic and carrots. Sauté for about 10 mins until veggies have softened. 

Add broccoli stir to combine cook a further 5 mins. Add stock and bay leaf cover and simmer until all vegetables are soft and cooked.

 In the meantime, in a separate sauce pan melt butter and add flour stir and cook until small bubbles appear. Slowly had some of the stock from the soup until you have a smooth paste like consistency. 

Pour this roux mixture into the soup mix stir and allow roux to incorporate with the soup. Now add your cream, remaining spices and cheese stir and cook just until cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper. 


Recipe adapted from
http://www.peasandcrayons.com

No comments:

Post a Comment