Wednesday 4 September 2013

Coconut Rice Pudding



Here is a recipe that brings me back to childhood. My mom always made rice pudding for my brothers and I. But she never made it this way. This is my twist on an old classic. The coconut milk and cardamom pods gives the pudding a fabulous flavour. I've been making this recipe for over 5 years and it's my go to recipe when I want something sweet but don't want cake. 

In this recipe I've used a medium grain rice but I've also made it with basmati. Either rice will work, just remember using a medium grain rice might require a bit more milk. I actually prefer using basmati rice I like the texture and fragrance. 




                        The line up

   Cardamom pods that I crushed slightly

Cardamon pods swimming in coconut milk and whole milk

 I used medium grain rice... Although I do prefer basmati, thought I'd try something different. 

        Toasting the desiccated coconut 

The smell from toasted coconut is amazing!! 

It's on it's way... Boiling away 

Lovely and getting thick... Yummy


2 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 cardamom pods, crushed
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup desiccated coconut, toasted

In a medium sized saucepan combine coconut milk, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cardamom pods and salt. On a very low heat stir the liquid mixture just until warmed through a bit and sugar has dissolved. Add the rice and stir so that the rice doesn't stick to the bottom. Don't go to far you will need to stir the rice a few more times until the pudding comes to a boil. Simmer on a low heat for about 20 mins or until the rice has cooked and most of the milk has evaporated. 

In the meantime, in a separate fry pan toast your coconut. Stir until coconut has turned a lovely golden brown. 

Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top of each individual bowl of pudding or mix into the entire pudding. 

Remember to remove the cardamom pods. 

If you could resist and wait, place the rice pudding into bowls and place in the fridge too cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment