Thursday 30 May 2013

Battered Fish Fillets




Ever since moving to Australia from America, I've gained a love for fish and chips... Yes, chips!! I've learned the hard way not to say, french fries when referring to any small piece of fried potato :) I've experimented with many, many recipes to try and find the perfect battered fish. Well, I think I finally nailed down a perfect recipe. It's one that my mother-in-law has shown me. Now, I've taken her ideas and tweaked it a bit to suit my needs. So, I have only my dear mother-in-law to thank for base of this recipe.

She normally uses a batter that is a combination of self-raising flour along with an all-purpose flour. I found that by using just a plain all-purpose flour you achieve a crisper and thinner batter.  This fish is deep fried -yes deep fried. I know it's not the healthiest, but in order to get a nice crisp batter you have to deep fry the sea creature of your choice! Just walk for an extra 10 minutes, that should make up for all those calories, right?? Or maybe just eat something healthy like steamed broccoli right?? Right. I thought so.



Recipe by The Cousins


Enough oil for deep frying- Use a neutral flavoured oil, vegetable or canola work best

1 lb of white fish, I used basa fillets
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup water
2 tbls white vinegar
1/2 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp Vegeta (Vegetable stock powder can be used if you don't have Vegeta)
1/4 tsp black pepper, a little extra to season fish
1/2 tsp garlic powder, and more to season the fish
Cumin, just enough to season fish
Salt and Pepper

In a saucepan, heat your oil to 350 degrees!



Lay out your fish and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin on both sides. I know cumin is an unusual seasoning but being from a Middle-Eastern background, cumin is a spice commonly used to flavour fish. It gives the fish a beautiful earthy flavour... I happen to love the smell of cumin! 

Now cut the fish into 2 inch pieces (or 5 cm for the metrically advanced)



In a bowl place your flour and make a well in the center. Pour the water in the well and slowly incorporate the flour and water, this will insure you avoid getting lumps, once combined mix slowly until you get a batter that is the consistency of pancake batter.





Now add the rest of the ingredients, vinegar, fish sauce, vegeta, 1/4 tsp black pepper and garlic powder, season with salt and stir to combine.


Once your oil has come to temperature dip fish in the batter let some dip off and place in the oil... Just please be careful with the hot oil, we don't want anyone getting burned... ouch!! You will know when the fish is ready because the batter would have turned a lovely golden brown color. Serve with hot chips (fries), garlic potato wedges, or just a nice salad.

1 comment:

  1. thanks a bunch for the awesome post! I have been looking for things close to this.
    i'll be following your rss feed so i don't miss out the good stuff!
    again, super website remember to keep this up! Please
    excuse me if my english is not good.

    Feel free to surf to my site ... firmasal.com

    ReplyDelete