Wednesday 15 May 2013

Garlic Potato Wedges



I love garlic and potatoes, so why not put the two together? It's a marriage made in heaven, served hot with a side of sour cream and sweet chili sauce, its just a beautiful side dish to accompany many meals. Now, I know the process may take a little longer then normal, but I promise the end result is all worth it. 

Hope you enjoy the recipe... Please feel free to leave us feedback. 


Recipe by The Cousins 

1.5 pounds of potatoes, cut into wedges

Salt 
5-6 Tbsp of oil for frying
4 cloves of garlic, minced

Cut potatoes in wedges and soak in a bowl of water for a few hours, releasing all the starch. This makes for a crisper potato chip.

After you've soaked the potatoes, drain and place them in a pot of salted water.  How much salt you ask?  Add just enough salt so that the water tastes similar to the ocean (be careful not to oversalt so that it doesn't taste like water from the Dead Sea!). The water level should be about 1 inch or so above the potatoes. Boil for about 25-30 mins or until fork tender. 

The reason I like to boil my potatoes first, is because I feel like it helps them crisp up faster if they are already cooked. This way you don't burn them trying to cook the potato wedge all the way through when frying! This may seem like an extra step in your already busy life but since eating the perfectly crisp potato wedge is soothing to the soul, don't you think it's worth it? After all, you're worth it! I'm worth it! Everyone is worth it!

Now let's get started on the path that will lead us to the soul-soothing perfectly-crisp potato wedge, shall we?

Drain and lay potatoes on a paper towel to dry. In a separate shallow fry pan heat 4-5 tbls of oil. Once the oil is ready, I usually test the oil by sticking the end of a wooden spoon in the oil, if you see bubbles surrounding the spoon then the oil is ready... now fry the potato wedges, in batches, until golden and crispy on the outside. 

In another small skillet fry the garlic with about 1 tbls of oil. Reserve cooked garlic. 

Place potatoes on a towel to soak up oil and season with salt while potato chips are still hot. Once all the potatoes are cooked place on a plate and drizzle the cooked garlic on top and serve. 

The cut wedges... Not bad, huh?

Taking a pre-soak in some water... They look happy don't they?

After they have been boiled, I've laid them out to dry.


Frying to a golden brown


Sautéed the garlic... The smell that is produced when frying garlic is like no other. One of my favorite smells :)



The finished garlic potato chips!! Yum yum! 

4 comments:

  1. Great idea ladies. The Potatoes look so yummy... By the time I get married I should have a whole cook book. Love the step by step pictures, it's great for people like me that hardly ever cook. Thank you! Keep the recipes coming.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe site is different than any other I've seen. The garlic potatos looks soo good (as do other recipes). I also love the pics!
    Faten

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one looks yummy! This recipe blog is different than any other I've seen so far. I love the pics. Thanks!
    Faten

    ReplyDelete