Tuesday 15 October 2013

Herbed Ranch Dressing

I've always found bottled Ranch to be way too thick and barely have any discernible flavor of herbs. Not to mention the overwhelming taste of preservatives.  My husband loves Ranch (and any creamy dressing) so I was set to create one -from scratch, no packets- that I feel happy to give him.  I'll do what it takes to get him to eat a salad!  This dressing is everything that I feel Ranch should be; creamy, full of herb flavor and bright to the palate.  Use it for a salad or as a dip for a veggie tray or even as a sandwich spread.  Trust me, you'll think twice about buying bottled Ranch ever again!






Herbed Ranch Dressing
Makes about 1 1/2 Cups

1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 C sour cream
1/4 - 1/2 C buttermilk*
1/4 cup loose packed fresh parsley (cilantro is a good sub too!)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp dried dill**
1 tsp onion powder
4 drops Worcestershire sauce
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper


Directions
Add everything into a blender with no particular order. Puree and taste to adjust seasoning if desired.  Remove and place in a small bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.  You can always use lower fat sour cream and milk for a lower fat version.

*I've used regular milk and it works just fine.
**Some like dill and some do not. My husband doesn't like it in this dressing so I omit it when I make it for him and it still tastes great.  You could also decrease the amount also to suit your taste.

Adapted from Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment